Interpreting for Autism Spectrum Disorder Services
Saturday October 7, 2023
Arrival and Sign in: 8:30 am. No on-site registrations permitted.
Class: 9:00 am - 4:40 pm. (breaks included)
Location: 1101 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Main entrance is between Geary & Post Street)
Presenter: Yuliya Speroff CoreCHI™
Limited spaces will be offered for this full day class.
Early bird until September 7
Become a CHIA Member for $50 to pay the member rate! It is not necessary to live or work in California to become a member.
Regular price from September 8
- CHIA members: $110
- Non-Members: $160
- CHIA Members: $120
- Non-Members: $170
NOTE: No refunds. Account credit towards future CHIA activities are only possible if a cancellation is received before 9:00 am Friday October 6, 2023. CHIA reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule a training or cancel a registration for low registration or any other reason.
If you need to cancel your registration for a credit, please follow the instructions on this link https://chiaonline.org/EventCancel/
*CEUs are available by participating in the entire activity (9:00 am - 4:40 pm). If you leave early, we are not able to grant you CEUs.
- CCHI 6.50 CE hours
- IMIA/NBCMI 0.7 CEUs
- RID Activity #0027. 1023.01 0.70 CEUs in Professional Studies
Languages:This class will be taught in English. The subject matter applies to both spoken and sign language. There will be practice with vocabularies in Arabic, Traditional Chinese/Cantonese, Spanish and Vietnamese. Invite a language partner!
This 7-hour on site workshop, designed for working interpreters, will prepare learners to provide interpreting services for patients with autism spectrum disorder, their families and the providers who serve them. Designed with input from experts in ASD, this class will cover the following:
- Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder, including the diagnostic process and treatment options.
- What interpreters can expect at medical and educational settings with patients and families who are living with autism spectrum disorder.
- Specialized terminology in autism services commonly used in medical and educational settings.
- Practice with vocabulary and conversion.
- Special challenges for the interpreter.
- A bilingual glossary and vocabulary exercises available in Arabic, Traditional Chinese/Cantonese, Spanish and Vietnamese.
- Managing an Interpreting Encounter
- Understanding Healthcare Terminology
- Interacting with Other Healthcare Professionals
- Demonstrating Cultural Responsiveness
- Interpreting Consecutively
- Sight Translating/Translating(Written) Healthcare Documents
Yuliya Speroff is a Russian-English CoreCHI™- and WA DSHS-certified medical and social services interpreter. In her current role of a supervisor with Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Washington, Yuliya supports the work of a team of staff medical interpreters and manages translation projects. She is certified as both an English and a Russian language instructor with more than 10 years of teaching experience. Yuliya’s passion for teaching is realized through the work she does for a non-profit organization Americans Against Language Barriers, where she is engaged in curriculum development and training medical interpreters.
Food/Amenities: Complimentary coffee, water, pastries and snacks will be provided. Attendees may bring their own lunch or purchase lunch on their own at one of the many establishments at walking distance of the venue. There is also a Cafeteria on site. Further details provided upon registration.
Parking/Public Transport: Garage and street parking are available at your own cost. There is also Bus 38/38R where you off board at the Van Ness Ave & Geary St stop and walk 2 mins to the main entrance. https://www.sutterhealth.org/for-patients/parking-cpmc
Email the Education Committee Chair: email@example.com
CHIA promotes an environment of mutual respect free of discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, hearing status, or any other protected class.
CHIA will work with CPMC to meet requests for reasonable accommodations. Please communicate your request with two weeks' notice to firstname.lastname@example.org